Russia issues chilling warning to Trump of 'catastrophic' consequences if he carries out threat to strike Iran's nuclear facilities

Russia has issued a stark warning over US threats to strike Iran's nuclear facilities, saying such an attack could have 'catastrophic' consequences for the region.

The Kremlin's concerns come after Donald Trump vowed to bomb Iran unless it agrees to a new nuclear deal with Washington. 

The former US president, in an explosive interview with NBC News, warned that Tehran would face military action and severe economic sanctions if it refused to negotiate.

'If they don't make a deal, there will be bombing,' Trump declared. 'It will be bombing the likes of which they have never seen before.'

Moscow, which has been strengthening ties with Iran, condemned Trump's threats. 

'Threats are indeed being heard, ultimatums are also being heard,' Deputy Foreign Minister Sergei Ryabkov told the Russian journal 'International Affairs' in an interview, extracts of which were published on Tuesday.

'We consider such methods inappropriate, we condemn them, we consider them a way for (the US) to impose its own will on the Iranian side.'

The warning signals growing tensions between Russia and the US despite the Kremlin's careful approach to Trump, with whom President Vladimir Putin has sought to rebuild relations.

Donald Trump vowed to bomb Iran unless it agrees to a new nuclear deal with Washington

Donald Trump vowed to bomb Iran unless it agrees to a new nuclear deal with Washington

The warning signals growing tensions between Russia and the US despite the Kremlin's careful approach to Trump, with whom President Vladimir Putin has sought to rebuild relations

The warning signals growing tensions between Russia and the US despite the Kremlin's careful approach to Trump, with whom President Vladimir Putin has sought to rebuild relations

Pictured: An Iranian nuclear power plant stands March 30, 2005 some 322 km south of Tehran, in Natanz, Iran

Pictured: An Iranian nuclear power plant stands March 30, 2005 some 322 km south of Tehran, in Natanz, Iran

Russia has positioned itself as a potential mediator, having signed a strategic partnership with Iran earlier in January. 

But Ryabkov made it clear that Moscow views Trump's rhetoric as a dangerous escalation.

'The consequences of this, especially if the strikes are on nuclear infrastructure, could be catastrophic for the entire region,' he cautioned.

Trump's hardline stance follows his withdrawal from a 2015 deal between Iran and world powers that placed strict limits on Tehran's disputed nuclear activities in exchange for sanctions relief - a move that led to increased tensions and fears of conflict. 

While Iran insists its nuclear program is for peaceful purposes, and denies it is seeking to build an atomic bomb, Washington remains unconvinced.

Ryabkov said Trump's recent comments only served to 'complicate the situation' in regards to Iran.

'The consequences of this, especially if the strikes are on nuclear infrastructure, could be catastrophic for the entire region,' Ryabkov said.

'While there is still time and the 'train has not left', we need to redouble our efforts to try to reach an agreement on a reasonable basis. Russia is ready to offer its good services to Washington, Tehran and everyone who is interested in this,' he said.      

It comes after Iran threatened to target British forces if Donald Trump attacks the Middle Eastern nation in the absence of a new nuclear deal.

Trump sent a letter to Iranian Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei earlier this month urging Tehran to reach a new nuclear deal. 

The US President warned: 'There are two ways Iran can be handled: militarily, or you make a deal.'

In response, Iranian Parliament Speaker Mohammad Qalibaf said on Friday: 'If the Americans attack the sanctity of Iran, the entire region will blow up like a spark in an ammunition dump.'

'Their bases and those of their allies will not be safe,' Qalibaf said in a live speech at the annual Al-Quds Day, or Jerusalem Day, that marks the last Friday of the holy month of Ramadan.

Iran has threatened to strike American bases and 'blow up' the entire Middle East if Donald Trump follows through on his warning of military action in the absence of a new nuclear deal. The image shows an Iranian rocket launched during a drill earlier last year

Iran has threatened to strike American bases and 'blow up' the entire Middle East if Donald Trump follows through on his warning of military action in the absence of a new nuclear deal. The image shows an Iranian rocket launched during a drill earlier last year 

Iran threatened to target British forces if Donald Trump attacks the Middle Eastern nation in the absence of a new nuclear deal (pictured: Iran's supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei)

Iran threatened to target British forces if Donald Trump attacks the Middle Eastern nation in the absence of a new nuclear deal (pictured: Iran's supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei)

A senior Iranian military official has now said that Tehran would strike the joint US-UK base on Diego Garcia in the Chagos Islands should Trump attack Iran.

'There will be no distinction in targeting British or American forces if Iran is attacked from any base in the region or within the range of Iranian missiles,' he told the Telegraph on Saturday.

The military official added: 'When the time comes, it won't matter whether you're an American, British, or Turkish soldier – you will be targeted if your base is used by Americans.'

'And if they are thinking of causing sedition inside the country as in past years, the Iranian people themselves will deal with them,' he added. 

Over the weekend Donald Trump lashed out at Vladimir Putin after the Russian leader dismissed US efforts to broker a ceasefire in Ukraine, calling Kyiv's government 'illegitimate' and effectively rejecting negotiations.

In a fiery outburst, Trump admitted he was 'p***** off' over Putin's remarks, which undermine Washington's attempts to bring an end to the bloody conflict. 

Trump warned that if he failed to reach a peace deal with Moscow - and if he deemed Russia responsible - he would slap massive secondary tariffs on Russian oil.

If Russia and I are unable to make a deal on stopping the bloodshed in Ukraine, and if I think it was Russia's fault … I am going to put secondary tariffs on oil, on all oil coming out of Russia,' Trump said, noting that tariffs could be as high as 50 per cent.

Despite his anger, Trump suggested that tensions with the Kremlin could ease if Putin 'does the right thing,' and once again emphasised his close ties with the Russian president, saying he has 'a very good relationship with [Putin]'.

However, the Kremlin has remained tight-lipped, with Putin yet to respond directly to Trump's heated remarks. 

Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said on Monday that Russia is committed to 'restoring' relations with Washington, which he claimed had been 'damaged by the Biden administration' following Russia's illegal invasion of Ukraine. 

He also confirmed that Putin remains in 'open contact' with Trump, with another call reportedly scheduled between the two this week.

The comments below have not been moderated.

The views expressed in the contents above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of MailOnline.

By posting your comment you agree to our house rules.